Sunday, November 11, 2007

The Prince of Persia

Here is an odd and timely thought. In Daniel 9 the Jewish nation was being held captive in Babylon (Iraq) and Daniel was praying and seeking the Lord on when and how they would be delivered (exit strategy).

Dan 9:1 In the first year of Darius the son of Ahasuerus, by descent a Mede, who was made king over the realm of the Chaldeans--
Dan 9:2 in the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, perceived in the books the number of years that, according to the word of the LORD to Jeremiah the prophet, must pass before the end of the desolations of Jerusalem, namely, seventy years.
Dan 9:3 Then I turned my face to the Lord God, seeking him by prayer and pleas for mercy with fasting and sackcloth and ashes.

Why were the Jews (God’s people) taken to Iraq?

Dan 9:5 we have sinned and done wrong and acted wickedly and rebelled, turning aside from your commandments and rules.
Dan 9:6 We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. (read on … very interesting)

Daniel was becoming vexed (freaked out lol) that despite his appeals nothing was happening.

Dan 10:2 In those days I, Daniel, was mourning for three weeks.
Dan 10:3 I ate no delicacies, no meat or wine entered my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, for the full three weeks.
Dan 10:4 On the twenty-fourth day of the first month, as I was standing on the bank of the great river (that is, the Tigris)

A very scary guy showed up with a message.

Dan 10:5 I lifted up my eyes and looked, and behold, a man clothed in linen, with a belt of fine gold from Uphaz around his waist.
Dan 10:6 His body was like beryl, his face like the appearance of lightning, his eyes like flaming torches, his arms and legs like the gleam of burnished bronze, and the sound of his words like the sound of a multitude.
Dan 10:7 And I, Daniel, alone saw the vision, for the men who were with me did not see the vision, but a great trembling fell upon them, and they fled to hide themselves.
Dan 10:8 So I was left alone and saw this great vision, and no strength was left in me. My radiant appearance was fearfully changed, and I retained no strength.
Dan 10:9 Then I heard the sound of his words, and as I heard the sound of his words, I fell on my face in deep sleep with my face to the ground.
Dan 10:10 And behold, a hand touched me and set me trembling on my hands and knees.
Dan 10:11 And he said to me, "O Daniel, man greatly loved, understand the words that I speak to you, and stand upright, for now I have been sent to you." And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up trembling.

He (Gabriel) explained to Daniel why the delay in response to Daniel’s pleadings.

Dan 10:12 Then he said to me, "Fear not, Daniel, for from the first day that you set your heart to understand and humbled yourself before your God, your words have been heard, and I have come because of your words.
Dan 10:13 The prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me twenty-one days, but Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me, for I was left there with the kings of Persia,

The prince of the kingdom of Persia (Iran) is some kind of power over that area of the planet. I imagine he is still there. I wonder if there is some repeating significance to our day.

1. God’s people (used loosely) are being held captive in Babylon (Iraq).
2. We could talk about why the people are there but let’s not go there. Dan 9:5
3. Persia (Iran) is opposing the success. (earthly reflection of powers of the air)
4. Israel is being threatened.
For added interest:
5. Israel was threatened with fire (furnace) if they did not bow down and worship.
6. Ahmadinejad is threatening fire (nukes)

There are some interesting and provocative parallels if nothing else. Realization that the “prince of the kingdom of Persia” would still be up to no good did cast new light on the problems in that area of the world.

I came across this idea listening to an interview with David Flynn.

Maybe it's no BigHugeThing.

No comments: